ALSA midi patch (Re: [PD] best linux system for using Pd just now

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Wed Mar 23 11:41:31 CET 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Tim Blechmann wrote:
> well, i experienced the memory leak in a patch containing a py, a
> netreceive and a print object...
> i don't think, any of there actually use midi ...

hi,

I just found one courious thing about ALSA, it seems that they changed
the behaviour of how midi events are allocated. This means that if you
have an old ALSA version, then there is a missing "snd_seq_event_free()"
in sys_poll_midi(). With the newer version the MIDI events shouldn't be
freed. Which version of ALSA do you have ?
How long does it take for you until Pd crashes ?

Just wondering, because noone else reported the problem up to now.
An old ALSA library would be an explanation.

Guenter

PS: You can debug memory leaks easily using valgrind.