[PD] VASP future

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Wed Mar 23 23:48:39 CET 2005

Hi Krzysztof,
using the PyObject pointers wrapped into t_symbols is really a great
idea (i haven't really thought of that in such a direct form).
I'm cautious however not to overload the symbol table. The current VASP
system is able to use "immediate" vasps [vasp.!], that are buffer
fragments independent from PD arrays, with reference counting, also
wrapped into symbols - but these are reused if possible, so that the
impact on the symbol table is negligible.
I have to investigate whether it's feasible with two-level references
to also reuse PD symbols for PyObject pointers.
In general i think this is the way to go - to be able to have discrete
VASP objects without having to duplicate code - a code-wise light
system totally based on Python, which is (on par with C++) my favorite
language, i admit.
many thanks for the hint!

best greetings,
Thomas

PS. I wonder how an appropriate t_atom type would look like - it seems
like additionally to a void *pointer there should also be some
namespace ID (the generator instance of the pointer) - that means a new
structure like t_symbol and a respective pointer as a union member into
t_atom.
PPS. In this respect quite unrelated - i can't really express how i
like Mathieu's idea of local symbol tables - i wish someone takes the
time to implement a draft into devel_0_38 - to my mind this would be a
big leap forwards