[PD] Re: Mac OS X installer with library documentation

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Fri Mar 25 22:41:20 CET 2005

I had the same thought HC.

I had no idea Tom has an installer. Why did you start Tom?

PixelTANGO has a development installer but Its my intension to integrate
it into the unified dot app. I have not worked out exactly how to do
this because it was much easier to kludge a pixelTANGO app based on the
pd 0.38 than it was to understand the .app build system that did not
work for me.

Anyhow I think for pixelTANGO to be easily integrated into the unified
.app that some slight changes may be required. I think it is very
important that some folders are exposed to the user in /Applications.
For dumping their own abstractions etc.. In the case of pixelTANGO we
need exposed folders for:

scripts
models
fonts
abstractions
Examples

"Examples" could be moved into the PD help menu when we get that sorted
out. Abstractions would be useful for everyone. If an end-user wants a
new version of an external without reinstalling the .app it would also
be handy to keep an extra folder exposed in there. I don't think it is
resonable for the user to "show package contents". Fonts and Models are
somewhat pixelTANGO specific, so perhaps they could go somewhere
pixelTANGO specific... Scripts will by the pixelTANGO py scripts which
need to be in the path. I guess these could just be dumped into the
abstractions folder... Any opinion on this? It may also make more sense
to have a scripts folder with py included in the package.

I did realize that one cannot link from a folder on the outside of the
pd.app to a folder inside it. So I had to add redundant folders outside
the PD.app that were included in the search-path.

Right now pixelTANGO is structured as:

/Applications/PixelTANGO/PixelTANGO-Examples
                         /PixelTANGO.app
                         /models
                         /fonts
                         /Gem-Examples
                         /abstractions

You can download the .app (with bugs) from:

www.ekran.org/ben/research/PixelTANGO-v0.3.2G4.tgz

This version does not have the python script stuff yet.

Anyhow worth a look in terms of how folders outside the .app could work.

b>