[PD] controlling robots/printers w/ PD

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Sun Mar 27 03:59:48 CEST 2005

Hi Robert & Ian,

Comments inline...

Ian Smith-Heisters wrote:
> If you want to control a stationary arm with PD it will depend on the
> device. Since it's stationary USB or serial is likely. Are you looking
> at buying something premade or making it yourself?
>
> If you buy something premade I would imagine it works like any other
> peripheral: you'll need a driver and a program to interface with the
> driver. The arm would likely come with some program that lets you do
> basic programming of tasks. It would be possible, most likely, again
> depending on the particulars, to get PD to talk to the robot directly
> with some hacking. How easy that would be would depend on how the arm is
> implemented. You might even be able to find one that can be controlled
> with MIDI or OSC using some third party intermediary.

Often strange things like this tend to have proprietary drivers and or
control protocols. Some companies are nice and don't do this, but many
want to protect their products from any kind of reverse-engineering.
(sniffing a proprietary protocol). Cheaper items tend to be more standard.

> If you want to build it yourself you can decide how you want to
> interface with it. There are PIC microcontrollers with built in USB,
> serial, and a new one with ethernet coming out soon. The BASIC Stamp
> probably comes in various flavors as well. But this is probably too
> involved for you, since you want to avoid C programming, which probably
> also means you want to avoid assembler programming ;)

One programs the BASIC stamp in BASIC, hence the name. No assembler
required. Also there is the Art Interface Device (aid.interaccess.org)
that is a GPL HW controller platform based around a PIC currently serial
only, but works with those USB-Serial converters. You just send it
simple commands in ASCII like: "a 0" to read the first A2D port or "w 12
255" to set all bits on board with address 12 to 1. Also there is a
simple python lib for using AID over serial.

So we all want to know what exactly are you doing?!? your question is
far to vague for us to give you a good suggestion.