[PD] controlling robots/printers w/ PD

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Mon Mar 28 00:25:31 CEST 2005

Although I agree with you that PICs are far superior to the BASIC stamp,
I need to play devils advocate:

> - A BASIC stamp is a PIC with a BASIC interpreter.
> - A PIC can be programmed with C, not only assembler.

The only C compilers that I am aware of cost at least 100USD. There are
open source compilers but they support a very limited range of PICs.

> - Interpreted BASIC is much slower than assembly or compiled C.
> - Assembly and compiled C can do more than interpreted BASIC.
> - A BASIC stamp can cost over five times more than a PIC.

...for many projects. If you're only doing one project the PIC will cost
the price of the chip, ~5USD, + the price of the programmer, ~100USD.
Plus any compilers you've opted to use instead of assembler. This makes
the PIC cost 105USD - 205USD/+ and the BASIC Stamp is only ~50USD.

> About RF communication, I found another solution:
> http://www.rentron.com/Stamp_RF.htm

Has anyone played with the RF PICs?

-Ian

> --