[PD] GEM : How to create vertex dynamically? / drawing 3D lines?

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Mar 29 17:42:02 CEST 2005

Hi Georges.

Gem has not been often used for "drawing" Until vertex arrays (still not
released) all objects were static primatives with some control. I have a
couple of ideas. You can look at the "curve" object that simply creates
a spline curve of up to 5 control points. I guess you could have to use
a bunch of these and overlap them by two points to make sure they are
smooth. This could be problematic though. Also you could try using
curve3d. curve3d is a 3d surface (matrix) of control points. You could
make the matrix very wide and not very tall 2x100 or 1x100 points. Then
you would have up to 100 control points to use for drawing, but these
are there to start with, you cannot add points as you go. Maybe this
would be a feature for curve3d? the ability to add points on the fly?

Maybe the "curve" object could be modified to allow more points, but
each point has an inlet so the way you use it would have to change...

I've CCed the gem developers to see if they have any ideas.

b>