[PD] GEM : How to create vertex dynamically? / drawing 3D lines?

cyrille cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Tue Mar 29 18:21:55 CEST 2005

hello,

B. Bogart wrote:
> Hi Georges.
>
> Gem has not been often used for "drawing" Until vertex arrays (still not
> released) all objects were static primatives with some control. I have a
> couple of ideas. You can look at the "curve" object that simply creates
> a spline curve of up to 5 control points. I guess you could have to use
> a bunch of these and overlap them by two points to make sure they are
> smooth.
i'm afraid it's not simple to make this curve object to overlap.

> This could be problematic though. Also you could try using
> curve3d. curve3d is a 3d surface (matrix) of control points. You could
> make the matrix very wide and not very tall 2x100 or 1x100 points.
Chris already point out that this will be very slow.

> Then
> you would have up to 100 control points to use for drawing, but these
> are there to start with, you cannot add points as you go. Maybe this
> would be a feature for curve3d? the ability to add points on the fly?
the problem is that the curve draw by curve3d will change if a single
point is add. only 1st and last point are really part of the curve,
other point are just "attraction" points.

> Maybe the "curve" object could be modified to allow more points, but
> each point has an inlet so the way you use it would have to change...
in fact, curve and curve3d are drawing a bezier curve.
i think making a new object for spline curve could be a good idea.

to try to answer the original question : why don't you try to record the
pointer postion in 3 differents array (x, y and z), and using a lot of
small line (with [curve 2]) to draw the entire curve?
([repeat] is GEM best friend)

cyrille