[PD] Win 2000 pix_video

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed Mar 30 05:31:42 CEST 2005

On Mar 29, 2005, at 11:06 PM, Ian Smith-Heisters wrote:

> For the time being I'm going to try to use a G4 laptop. What you say
> about the optimization is interesting. I was amazed at how easily the
> video software Isadora plays with full res DV, despite its rather
> heavy GUI. Isadora's author basically said he did Altivec
> optimizations, but I didn't think that that would account for the
> impressive performance. A Mac pecularity would help to explain it.
> Does anyone have info on this?

I think you will find that GEM on OSX will perform equal to or most
likely better than Isadora on the same hardware.  I gave the author of
Isadora some tips on Quicktime and OpenGL code, but that software still
does a lot of RGB processing.  Plus GEM only has a hardware accelerated
OpenGL graphics rather than QuickDraw.

There's nothing really peculiar about the Mac and video except that a
few people (on the order of a few dozen in the world) have sat down and
actually done the required work to make things efficient.  Given that
number, there should be a few hundred doing the same on Windows, but
I'll be damned if I've ever seen their output.

What I find amazing is that you can't actually tell people about how
poorly all this commercial software performs.  Once you show them the
alternative then they realize, but usually resort back to the stuff
they (over)paid for.  I also really enjoy reading press reviews that
laud the latest and greatest software that has the same features Pd/GEM
had years ago.  I guess someone should hire a PD PR person.