[PD] VASP future

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 30 19:52:57 CEST 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Thomas Grill wrote:

> I have to investigate whether it's feasible with two-level references
> to also reuse PD symbols for PyObject pointers.

Yes because it (my system) is backwards-compatible, because I will only
add new semantics, not breaking any, except if anyone uses the following
syntax: dollar, argument number, period, symbol. (e.g. $0.hello). This
syntax will be reserved for the new system. The rest will work just the
same.

In addition, $0.hello will be 99% like the current $0-hello except that it
will have to be supported explicitly by externals. It may take some time
before externals adapt to the new way, and so, in most cases the $0-hello
will have to stay for a while.

> PS. I wonder how an appropriate t_atom type would look like - it seems
> like additionally to a void *pointer there should also be some
> namespace ID (the generator instance of the pointer) - that means a
> new structure like t_symbol and a respective pointer as a union member
> into t_atom.

There will not be a new t_word union member. However there will be a new
atom type, *and* most bits in the a_type field will be reserved for the
namespace id, that is, the number of the abstraction instance, at least in
the case of that particular atom-type.