[PD] Advice: best way to do matrix-rotation in PD

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Fri Apr 1 20:30:33 CEST 2005

Hey all,

I've been working with a Gem abstraction called "supercube". Supercube
is a cube of 3x3 curve3d planes. The common points are linked so that we
always have a seamless volume.

The supercube has 27 unique points. I've been figuring out different
ways of creating interesting forms using this structure.

So I had the great idea of using matrix rotation to rotate the control
points on various axes to distort the cube. In order to get this to work
I need to solve two problems:

A. I need to be able to do matrix-rotation fast and efficiently, and I'd
rather not need an external to do it!

B. I need to query the current position of each point before I can
rotate it.

For A I could:

1. use expr and manually patch the calculation
2. write an external (please no?!)
3. write a python script to do the calculation and load with "py"

What give me the best performance? (#2)
What would benifit the user community most?
What is the most performance for the time?

For B:

1. data-stuctures with/out the graphics part (fast enough?)
2. keep track of points in a python array.. "py"
3. keep track using zexy array or iemmatrix or some external...
4. use [f] objects... YUCK!

Any suggestions/advice would be apprecaited.

Thanks.
B.