[PD] OT: Open source sequencer

David Marrs David.Marrs at myrealbox.com
Sat Apr 2 20:00:04 CEST 2005

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2005, at 9:36 AM, John Harrison wrote:
>
>> What is out there in terms of a cross-platform open-source MIDI
>> sequencer along the lines of Cakewalk/SONAR or Digital Performer?
>> Barring cross-platform, what are the recommended open-source sequencers
>> for win32 and OS X?
>>
>> there are basically a lot of commercial closed/source apps that
>> exist  on Mac+Win, but not linux, and a lot of open source that exist
>> only on  linux with maybe a shabby mac port, but very few win+linux
>> apps,  besidse PD (which makes a great sequencer, using [pipe],
>> data-structures or [xeq]) but to answer your question:
>>
>> only one i have heard of is JAZZ -> http://www.jazzware.com
>>

> _
> You can also use Pd's graphical data structures to do sequencing.
> Here's an example of sample manipulation done this way:
>
> http://at.or.at/hans/solitude
>
> You can download the patch, but you need a fast machine to run it,
> like  2GHz+.  I composed this using a dual G5 2.5GHz.
>
> ..hc

Csound is the obvious counterpart to Pd. It's available for Mac, Win and
Lin. There's also openmusic from Ircam but this is Linux only (at
present) and I'm told Ircam products tend to be on the buggy side -
perhaps more academically useful than practical.

http://freesoftware.ircam.fr/
http://www.csounds.com/