[PD] OT: Open source sequencer

David Marrs David.Marrs at myrealbox.com
Sun Apr 3 01:59:10 CEST 2005

Arie van Schutterhoef wrote:

>>I'm told Ircam products tend to be on the buggy side -
>>

>-Is this because of the rather 'experimental nature' of it,
> or just because of incompetent programming habits?

No idea. Having never used OM myself, I don't even know if what I said
is true, it's just what I was told.

>>perhaps more academically useful than practical.
>>

>-This is quite a intriguing statement. Please elaborate.

Ircam is an academic institution trying to solve problems, not sell
products. The problem here, presumably, is how to compose electronic
music using a language designed specifically for that task instead of
trying to adapt conventional notation to suit electronic musician's
needs, like we do at present. The former is considered elegant and
liberating while the latter is clunky and constraining. In theory I
agree but in practice I still compose music with a staff or piano-roll
matrix, not data structs and pointers.

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.