[PD] optimizing the CPU using [switch~]

julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net
Mon Apr 4 19:17:05 CEST 2005

hello

I am programming a patch in which there are 16 dsp abstractions, each containing
16 different simple audio sub-abstractions (each has a different rendering). The
purpose of this is not to use all at the same time, but to switch~ on only some
dsp algorithms when I need them.

This works normally, but I still have some cpu problems, because even if an
audio subpatch is switched off, it takes a little bit of cpu when the pd audio
computation is on. Therefore, as I use 256 audio abstractions (each with a
switch control), when loading the patch, the cpu is about up to 20% (though
initially all switch~ objects receive a zero value so no dsp is running)

Then, on my computer starting the usual presets is no problem (average cpu load
= 40-50%), but it's not the same on all the computers and I would like to reduce
the cpu load; is there any solution, besides using a lesser number of different
audio abstractions ?

thanks a lot

regards,
-j