[PD] Re: Mac OS X installer with library documentation

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Mon Apr 4 23:48:02 CEST 2005

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Thomas Ouellet Fredericks wrote:
>
>>Are you sure it is better to store the extra externals, projects and
>>abstractions in a user specific directory. Max/Msp for XP stores those
>>in a common folder (I think c:\program files\common\max).

user-specific externals and abstractions should not go there, but
into a directory specified by the user itself as a user-specific
preference.  That is how Max should be used, and what is better not
changed in Pd.

> max/msp need not be a reference for us (esp. on windoze)

sure their design is not perfect, but peeping there and comparing
with `ours' is not such a bad idea at all.  The two environments
are very similar.  They are struggling with the very same
difficulties, so it would be very strange if none of their
solutions had any advantages over proposals discussed here.

Some advantages of Max configuration: it is message-based under
the hood, uses patches for all sorts of dialog windows, is more
open, flexible, more consistently the Pd way of design.

Krzysztof