[PD] GEM: making a closed cylinder, using display-lists with [GEMgl...]

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Apr 5 13:06:05 CEST 2005

Max Neupert wrote:
> hi list,
>
> i want to use a closed cylinder. so i made an abstraction
> cylinder_closed.pd.
> but it seems not to be very fast and it can't be used with [repeat n].
> is there a better way to approach this?

attached is a version that is both [repeat]able and fast, but
unfortunately it won't run on your system ;-)

your patch is so slow, because both [cylinder] and [disk] are slow
(because they don't use display-lists), so you cannot gain much speed
that way.
chris clepper kept stating that we need a mechanism to allow the user to
build their own display-lists to speed things up.
i always thought that this could be done with the
openGL-wrapper-objects, but appearantly 2 crucial objects were missing
[GEMglNewList] and [GEMglEndList]; i have added them to the CVS now (and
used them already in the patch ;-))
so what i have done in the patch is create a display-list of the closed
cyclinder and call that instead of the objects.

so my patch is another good example of what the openGL-wrapper is for
and how to use it.

within the ccylinder-abstraction there is a solitaire subpatch [pd
closedcylinder] which does not depend on the openGL-wrapper at all. it
is still slow, but you can use it as a normal Gem-object (e.g. with
[repeat])

hope this helps

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes