[PD] "spectral pause"

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu Apr 7 20:31:39 CEST 2005

Spencer Russell wrote:

> would this work for stretching the length of a sample without
> changing pitch? (maybe this is the standard algorithm, I don't know)

This is either done with FFT or with granulation. [synchgrain~] or my
Particle Chamber abstraction can be used for that if granulation is the
technique. Abelton Live uses the same idea of making small enveloped
grains and time stretching by overlapping the playback of these
grains...in fact this is the most common way of doing this technique.
FFT is more complicated because each grain is analyzed for its spectral
content and then resynthesized.

best,
d.

--