[PD] square wave object?

ClaudiusMaximus gloriousclaudiusmaximus at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 9 08:46:51 CEST 2005

Paris Treantafeles wrote:

> i see that PD has cosine and sawtooth objects.
> is there a square wave object?
> or do you use tables to create them?

Some methods:

1: You can create a rectangular wave by subtracting two sawtooth waves
that have different phases, vary the phase difference to change the
proportion of high and low in the wave, at a particular phase you have a
square wave.

2: You can [clip~] a cosine wave, various amounts of pre-clip
amplification change the "hardness" of the square wave.  The Zexy
library also has [>~].

3. You can use tables with [tabread~] or [tabread4~] (there is also a
table osc but I've forgotten its exact name).

Note:

phasor~ is not band-limited, which means aliasing distortion can be
audible, if you're using it as an audio oscillators.  I think there are
band-limited oscillator LADSPA plugins if you use Linux.