[PD] building all external on linux

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Tue Apr 12 10:08:02 CEST 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > Those have their own build system.  No one has added them to the
> > externals/build setup.  Ideally everything would be built there...
> well, i don't think that the external build system as it is at the
> moment is the best way to build externals:

its the best and most stable build system that we have had.
I mean its not been changed since its beginning and it is still
working. compare this with the build system in pd devel and you
know what i mean :)

> - it doesn't handle libraries
on purpose. if one external fails to build all you loose is this external.
all the rest can still be used, until it this is fixed.
libraries are a bad way to organize pd externals, we should try to
make it as modular as possible. this is key to collaboration.

imagine the linux kernel would be like pd, in order to get my
network card running, i would have to load the coxlib, except for
the eepro card, which is in the libthorvalds, which currenlty doesn,t
build because of a typo in the rtl module.....

> - it doesn't handle flext externals
flext has its own build system. its not the goal to handle this
> - it doesn't handle special compile time flags / configure scripts /
>   whatever

it shouldn't. special compile flags and configure are evil. make it
simple and robust. the makefile for the externals has ten lines of code,
not more (well someone added the ugly and completely useless optimization
flags later ...).

> - it's using old pd header files (0.37)
its doing this because no one updated it. So this is a bad
argument from someone who is able to do so.

> my 2 ¢ ... tim

thanks for your thoughts

Guenter