[PD] building all external on linux

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 12 18:08:54 CEST 2005

Libs are easier for devs.  Compiling for individual objects makes using
Pd much easier on many levels.  You can have shared code when compiling
as individual files as well, just make a shared lib that each
individual object file uses.

I suppose we'll all never agree on this one, but I thought I'd throw in
my two bits.

.hc

On Apr 12, 2005, at 10:36 AM, Thomas Grill wrote:

>> libraries are a bad way to organize pd externals, we should try to
>> make it as modular as possible. this is key to collaboration.
>>

> Sorry, i fail to understand this. Since this failure has now lasted
> for several years i think it won't change anymore.
> To my mind libraries are a valid way to organize things - i find it
> more convenient to have one file that contains all the bundled
> features than to have many files and a associated shared library that
> needs to be installed somewhere to be found by the system (where under
> Windows e.g.? in the /Winnt folder, or in pd/bin?)
>

>>> - it doesn't handle flext externals
>> flext has its own build system. its not the goal to handle this
>
> Well no problem. It's good than that the flext build system can handle
> plain PD externals.
>

> best greetings,
> Thomas

____

deliberately throwing it
away to benefit those who profit from scarcity."
							-John Gilmore