[PD] streaming audio

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Wed Apr 13 22:15:13 CEST 2005

Niklas Saers wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm setting up a linux box that I want to stream audio to and from. In
> a while, I will want to connect three of my fellow students who are
> connected to the same LAN, one Windows user. I've been trying out
> stream[in/out]13~ as ggee didn't compile up on my OS X installation.
> The setup is:
>
> Linux:
> osc~ 440                         [connect 192.168.1.35 8008]
> streamout13~ 192.168.1.35 8008 1
> <number box saying 1 or 0>
>
> OS X:
> streamin13~ 8008
> dac 1
>
> The server connects, and "netstat -w 1" says that roughly 90kb/sec is
> passed over my network. No audio comes out of the OS X box, though
> "compute audio" is on on both boxes. Testing the Linux box with a
> dac~, I get to know that osc~ works as expected. Doing an env~ and
> feeding it to a number box gives me a constant zero.
>
> Is stream[in/out]~ a good tool for what I'm trying to do? If not, what
> tools should I be examining? If so, any clues to what I might be doing
> wrong?

streamin/out~ and streamin13/out13~ both have several bugs that don't
show that much affect on Linux. Don't know about OS X, but at least on
Windows they don't work at all.
You might want to have a look at netsend~/netreceive~ which does
basoically the same it is known to be working, although it's still in
alpha stage.
http://www.nullmedium.de/dev/netsend~/

Olaf