[PD] RME hammerfall

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Apr 15 10:48:03 CEST 2005

Tim Blechmann wrote:
>>at the iem we are using the RME/hammerfall/hdsp/multiface cards with
>>plain alsa (since jack turned out to be far too unreliable).
>
> but i'm curious about your experience with jack ... is it a problem in
> the architecture of jack or the jack part of pd, that you have been
> thinking about?

hmm...unfortunately i have no real idea (it has been a while...)
what i can say for sure, is that jack appeared to be too much an
overhead when running big productions with few people (they are stressed
anyhow, and adding an additional layer "jack" (with all these priority
issues we had _then_...) would just have been too much
sidenote: the people who were running the show were not really into the
linux thing, so using linux itself was a stress-factor;

it furthermore didn't convince us to use jack for connecting an
audio-application with a sound-card: i mean it is ok if you want to
connect supercollider, pd, ardour, the soundcard, snd and mozilla; but
just using it for the sake of it, doesn't sound too convincing.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes