[PD] sendOSC: handling big numbers

Sukandar Kartadinata sk at glui.de
Fri Apr 15 22:49:35 CEST 2005

Hi Derek,
thanks for your reply

> "1e+006" is a floating point number which represents "1000000" (i.e. 1
> with 6 decimal places added). This is how PD normally handles numbers
> with quite a few places before or after the decimal.

well, internally a float is a float and should have a 24bit mantissa
which should well cover 1000000. My understanding was that the
scientific notation would only be used when the number is displayed in
one way or the other (e.g. number box or print object)

> If PD is listening on the other side, it will know this.

actually no. I tested this with a local loopback:

[dumpOSC 1024]

[OSCroute /addr]

[  \

where the number box complains: "no method for '3e+006'