[PD] newbie question about "dropped"

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 25 08:58:06 CEST 2005

Zitiere libero.mureddu3 at fastwebnet.it:

> Hello!
> I'm a new user of pure-data.
> I'm using the last Hans-Christoph Steiner version Pd-0.38-2hcs0 on a
> ibook
> g3 800, and I cannot put a backslash in a patch. I receive the message
> "dropped".

since you get such a nice message, you might eventually wonder whether this
behaviour is on purpose.
and indeed it is.

why would anybody want to use backslashes ?
most likely, even with turning the dropping off by hacking the source code, you
will not be able to use it as an escape character.
in the current state of pd, escaping characters is totally unresolved.

apart from that, i am an oldie user and i never really needed to type
backslashes (but i admit that it might be weird when you first come to it)

mfg.a.dsr
IOhannes