[PD] newbie question about "dropped"

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 25 13:43:59 CEST 2005

derek holzer wrote:
> Hey Oldie,
>
> zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:
>
>> i am an oldie user and i never really needed to type  backslashes
>

> I guess you never tried to load a sample with whitespace in the filename
> into a table?

i surely did....

but:
  whitespaces in filenames should be avoided anyhow
  on windows (the only place where i stumble across whitespaces now and
then) you can use those weird "blabla~1.wav"-like filenames instead.
  on other platforms you can use links

  in symbol-space, whitespaces are handled correctly anyhow

and if i may quote myself: "in the current state of pd, escaping
characters is totally unresolved."
this does not mean, that i think that we don't need an escaping mechanism.
indeed we should find a solution to this problem. (and there are plenty
of ways for _this_ problems)
enabling backslashes might work for now, but miller has explicitely
disabled it and i just wanted to point out, that we might eventually
have to wait until he settles on one solution.

i think, backslash as an escape character is not a good idea within the
context of pd (or rather: within the context of windows(tm))

what i want to say is that using backspace is (in most of the cases) not
necessary.

mfg.a.sdr
IOhannes