[PD] benefits of planet ccrma kernel, and realtime priority pd?

Mike Wozniewski mike at ozmediasolutions.com
Wed Apr 27 19:36:50 CEST 2005

Thanks for the responses.

I really wanted to see if it was worth it to go through with the CCRMA
kernel install.

>When you say just the kernel, do you mean the kernel and associated
>modules? If you switch to the CCRMA kernel, you will need to get the
>CCRMA ALSA drivers, and recompile any unique modules such as video
>wireless network.

By just the kernel, I meant I didn't want to install any of the
packages. We are building a pretty heavy application with Pd+Gem. We
already have a decently working system. But any extra performance we can
get out of our current machines is beneficial. The graphics end is quite
optimized - so now I'm focusing on audio. I was wondering what kind of
benefit CCRMA could give. It seems from the emails that it's more of a
convenience benefit than performance (ie, it's easier to download
packages, run -rt without being root, etc.)... If I can run pd as root
anyway, it's not going to benefit me that much right?

I guess though, that latency is a bit different from performance. It
sounds like the latency can be cut down a bit by CCRMA. Performance
however - ie, CPU load - is unaffected right? Julien, you said that
operating at lower latencies you get clicks when CPU load >80% ...does
this mean that in fact low latency might hinder a heavily loaded
application?

Thanks again for your responses,
-Mike