[PD] Granular Synth

Spencer Russell Spencer.Russell at oberlin.edu
Wed Apr 27 23:12:13 CEST 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 06:14:20PM +0100, Jamie Bullock wrote:
> Hi Spencer,
>
> Any chance you could publish your findings on munger~ somewhere? I've
> never been able to get more than the odd crackle and a lot of CPU load
> out of it.

One thing that got me out of 99% CPU hell was changing the
position to 0, by sending [position 0( to the left inlet. Also,
some of the parameters seem to need to be in strange
ranges(strange because I'm unclear what exactly the units are).
Here are the ranges I've got the sliders set to, after some
initial experimentation:

inlet 2 (grain separation): 		4e-05 - 0.001
inlet 3 (grain rate variation):		0 - 20
inlet 4 (grain size): 			0 - 0.003
inlet 5 (grain pitch):			0.1 - 10 (log scale)
inlet 6 (grain pitch variation):	0 - 0.0005
inlet 7 (stereo spread):		0 - 0.0004

grain separation and grain size are maybe in seconds? grain pitch
is I think just a multiplier on the original speed, but it does
strange things to the delay time if you make it 1. Haven't really
figured that one out yet.

the output that munger sends to the console is a bit wack, and
doesn't seem to reflect what's actually happening. For instance,
when you send a [power 1( message to the left inlet, munger
returns "setting power: 0"

> Also, there is an excellent article on implementing granular synthesis
> from Ross Bencina's website at:
>
> http://www.audiomulch.com/~rossb/

thanks for the link, it looks like just what I need.

-spencer