[PD] Dynamic range question

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Apr 29 19:42:36 CEST 2005

Jamie Bullock wrote:
> So if I write a 32-bit floating point sound file to an array in PD the
> visualisation is -1 to +1, but the data is still stored internally as
> 32-bit?

this depends on how you store the data: fixed-point formats will clip
your data to -1..+1
for floating point soundfiles, i guess it depends on the actual format
you are using (but i am no expert here)

i just tried to store a table with a maximum sample value of 2.9199 with
the soundfile-object as 4byte floating-point (-nextstep -bytes 4), and
lo and behold! the file restores to the exact values (maximum 2.9199)

at least the arrays look the same, i haven't done any scientific
comparision...

mfg..wta.cwe
IOhannes