[PD] jack clicks but alsa or oss runs smoothly

Iain Mott mott at reverberant.com
Mon May 2 00:36:42 CEST 2005

Thanks Tim and Pat

No i wasn't running devel. I've tried what you suggest but unfortunately
it still clicks. At least now there is more detailed debugging info when
it glitches, usually something like:

subgraph starting at pure_data_0 timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=11, status
= 0, state = Running)
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 1.940 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.007 msecs
jack most likely kicked us out ... trying to reconnect

I recompiled omitting various flags in my original configuration line,
but to no effect. Tried starting Pd with variety of sleepgrain sizes
from 0.01 to 300 (for the hell of it). Used the -cb_scheduler startup
flag too. I noticed with this, it adds a "cb_scheduler" checkbox in the
media-->Audio Settings dialogue which is unchecked. Unfortunately
checking it (and applying) doesn't fix it.

Just in case I somehow botched the install here's what I did (on the
first attempt at least):

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data co
-r devel_0_38 pd
cd pd
./bootstrap.sh
./configure --enable-newhash --enable-jack --enable-fftw --enable-simd
--enable-optimize=pentium4 --enable-threadedsf --enable-atomic
--enable-debug
make
su -
cd /home/iain/pd
make install

Ran pd with: -rt -jack -sleepgrain 0.1 -cb_scheduler

When I start Pd it identifies as: Pd version 0.38.4 devel {OSS 2} {ALSA
1} {jack 5} courier

the version of jackd is  0.99.0
and alsa driver is 1.0.8

Any help greatly appreciated.