[PD] [OT] ARTiS: An Asymmetric Real-Time Scheduling

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Tue May 3 18:50:52 CEST 2005

Very interesting:
http://www.lifl.fr/west/artis/

Here's the message sent by Éric Piel to the linux-kernel mailing list:
-------------------------
Hello,

I'd like to present "ARTiS", a research project that we developed at the
 LIFL, within the HYADES project. The goal was to provide a system which
 can be hard real-time and in the same time permit high performance
 computing.

The main idea of our approach is to insert asymmetry into an SMP
 computer. While the several processors allows us to get HPC, the
 asymmetry provides real-time capabilities. In order to guarantee that
 the RT tasks can always be scheduled with a low latency, we forbid _all_
 the other tasks to take a lock or disable the preemption on some
 specified CPUs. Basically, there is a set of "RT CPUs" and a set of
 "Non-RT CPUs". When a normal task is executed on a RT CPU and happen to
 call either inc_preempt_count() or __local_irq_save(), then it is
 automatically migrated to a Non-RT CPU, where the syscall will be
 continued. Still, the RT CPUs can execute all computation from any task.
 For more detailed description, please have a look at the research papers
 available at http://www.lifl.fr/west/artis .

So we currently have an implementation for kernel 2.6.11, available on
 the x86 and IA-64 architectures. It's a proof of concept with rough
 edges. Even after the code clean-up, I guess some people will scream
 when looking at the code, it's not the most beautiful one ever done.
 Nevertheless, it works. When ARTiS is activated your system shouldn't
 crash more often than usual and tasks scheduled FIFO with priority 99
 will get much better latencies than before.

The modifications are mostly situated in the scheduler. The migration
 from an RT CPU to a Non-RT CPU is done asynchronously (there is a
 special queue which can be read/write without lock). There is also a big
 part which tries to enhance the load-balancer wrt the RT and to the
 asymmetry. Following to this email, there will be the core patch as well
 as the patches for architecture dependent parts (which are rather small).

It worth noting that even if ARTiS was designed for SMP systems, it
 works also on a SMT processor (although it seems that for now it's
 better not to select the SMT additions to avoid crash). It has been
 tested on Pentium HyperThreaded. Then ARTiS can be seen more like just a
 firm (or hard if you have hopes) real-time patch that works with any
 tasks written for Linux.

The latency measurements which have been conducted on a quadri-processor
 IA-64 give results of scheduling always under 105µs instead of 1200µs
 for a preemptible kernel. On a Pentium 4 HT, latencies are always under
 40µs instead of 14000µs. The measurement tool (realfeel-pfm) that we
 used is available for both x86 and IA-64 architectures. On the latter
 one there is an additional measure of the "kernel latency" which is
 quite interesting too.

In addition, a load-balancer evaluator, lbµ is also available. It's
 completely architecture independent but don't hope too much from it, it
 just let you always run the same load on the system and collect some
 statistic. Apart from this, all needs to be done by the user.

If you want to try it, have a look first at the documentation available
 in Documentation/artis.txt . There is also information available on the
 research project webpage http://www.lifl.fr/west/artis while you can
 follow the development at this page: https://gna.org/projects/artis .

We hope that some people can find interest on this project. Any remark
 or comment is very welcome,
 Eric Piel