[PD] DV camera and linux (Gem)

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat May 7 13:43:13 CEST 2005

Zitiere Andres Cabrera <andres at geminiflux.com>:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to get my DV camera to get video into gem, but the camera
> is
> not being recognized (not only by gem, but the same behavior appears
> in
> kino and coriander).
> The strange thing is that dvgrab captures movies alright... and I
> remember having used this camera on the same hardware (but FC1) some
> time ago (I'm on FC2 Planet CCRMA now).
> I am using a PCMCIA firewire bridge, which works perfectly with an
> external hard drive
> So the question is:
> How can I tell which device my dv camera is? (I have a feeling the
> problem lies with the device name)
> Are there any known quirks to get a dv camera to work on FC2?

Gem does support firewire-cameras.

thinks you should consider:

are you using devfs ? if not, you will have to create the device-nodes by hand;
i have no experience with udev
are you using a recent kernel (this is 2.6) ?
you should have a video-device for your camera at
"/dev/ieee1394/dv/host<i>/[PAL,NTSC]/in" (with <i> denoting "the" host-number)
if this doesn't exist you will need to load the correct modules (which if have
forgotten rigth now: most probably it is video1394 or dv1394)
as a fallback, Gem will also query "/dev/dv1394"

finally, an important thing to know is, that firewire-devices are *not*
recognized by the video4linux (no matter whether v4l or v4l2) system (well,
there are few (i think: one(!)) exceptions)
you have to tell Gem that it should look for a ieee1394-device, by sending a
[driver 1( message to the [pix_video] object.
(fyi: "driver 0" is v4l; this is only important on linux; on osX and on windows,
it doesn't matter whether the capture device is a dv-device or just a tuner-board)

even more finally, i had a laptop with an onboard ieee1394-controller which
could perfectly well handle external harddisk, but had no cue about dv-cameras
(tested on both debian-gnu/linux and windoze)
however, if dvgrab works, you are most probably lucky...

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes