[PD] PDa, ipaq h5550, success

CK chris at lo-res.org
Sat May 7 16:01:49 CEST 2005

hi david,

I read:
> Also the -rt flag is mandatory if you want any kind of sound. Is there a

for just getting sound I cannot confirm that but since this is kernel 2.4
it's really needed to convince the kernel to grant pd the cpu cycles it
deserves.

> way to do this without being logged into the ipaq as root?

hmmm ... I quickly found that most interesting things (including ping for
some reason) require root privileges anyway so I'm trying my best to over-
come my unix conditioning to do most things as joe user and only sysadmin
tasks as root ... (and back in the days I used to run pd as root very often
when performing so why not do it now on the ipaq)

> Um, Guenter's editing of /etc/ipkg/pda.conf didn't work for me, so I got
> the packages manually.

same here - but I didn't find this too troublesome

> I got kismet working too and plan on interfacing kismet and Pd. Anybody
> have any suggestions on how to do this?

well the easiest way is to change the festival/play paths to something else
and write your own scripts to interface with those. This is rather easy for
festival but a bit more of a hassle for play since kismet loads the wave
files itself and only pipes the pcm data to play - what I did was making dummy
waves that contain only numbers that are easily parsed by a pseudo play script
that will then pdsend an appropriate command to pd. That's a bit ugly so I
might patch kismet to call play or whatever with an argument when I find time.
I can send you the scripts if you like and of course I'll put the ipkg online
(and a few more) when it's done.

> On my laptop I've been using
> python as a kind of proxy/parser to do it. Is there a way to do this
> directly on PDa (since there's no [netclient] for it)?

use python and OSC or python to call pdsend.

> Also, I haven't tried, but is it possible to run PDa with just the
> barebones bootstrap installed, and not GPE?

it could work but obviously -nogui only

> Thanks to Guenter for this work. This is awesome, I'll never use my
> laptop again!

hehe unless you want to actually write anything, or watch a dvd or ...

regards,

chris at lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)