[PD] PDa, ipaq h5550, success

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Sat May 7 23:03:42 CEST 2005

On Sat, 7 May 2005, CK wrote:
> > way to do this without being logged into the ipaq as root?
>
> hmmm ... I quickly found that most interesting things (including ping for
> some reason) require root privileges anyway so I'm trying my best to over-
> come my unix conditioning to do most things as joe user and only sysadmin
> tasks as root ... (and back in the days I used to run pd as root very often
> when performing so why not do it now on the ipaq)

Hi,

I always use root on the iPaq too, don't think its dangerous.

> > Um, Guenter's editing of /etc/ipkg/pda.conf didn't work for me, so I got
> > the packages manually.
>
> same here - but I didn't find this too troublesome

The problem is that I install it by hand too, so I just tested it the
first time .. seems to be broken now, but I will fix it with the next
release.

<snip>
> > Also, I haven't tried, but is it possible to run PDa with just the
> > barebones bootstrap installed, and not GPE?
>
> it could work but obviously -nogui only

There are two ways to get space on the iPaqs, one is to do a
"slimdown" from the GPE install, the other is to install just
the barebones bootstrap and add X by hand. I have just done the same this
week, I can send you the list of packages I installed on top of barebone
if you want to do that.
"-nogui" should work directly.

> > Thanks to Guenter for this work. This is awesome, I'll never use my
> > laptop again!
>
> hehe unless you want to actually write anything, or watch a dvd or ...

:) the real drawback is that it is hard to hide behind the PDA during
concerts ...

Guenter