[PD] sendOSC: handling big numbers

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun May 8 16:11:20 CEST 2005

On Sat, 7 May 2005, brendan wrote:
>>> where the number box complains: "no method for '3e+006'
>> You are absolutely correct. Just tried it myself, as I should have before
>> replying to your post. I assumed the confusion was about the notation, not
>> the object. Looks like a real live problem to me!
> The OSC Specification supports 64bit numbers, but they require an "h" type
> tag to be properly defined.  OSCx might not support the 'h' tag, you would
> have ask the developer.

What's the link between 3e+006 and 64-bit numbers?

3000000 is representable exactly as both a float32 and an int32 number.
For int32 the upper bound is about two billion, and for float32 it's much
higher.

  ,-o---------o---------o---------o-. ,---. irc.freenode.net #dataflow |
  `-o--------------o--------------o-' | | Mathieu Bouchard (Montréal QC) |