[PD] pd & ubuntu - nothing happens

Simon Schampijer simon.schampijer at nuim.ie
Sat May 14 12:43:40 CEST 2005

hi,
if it is a new installation of ubuntu - it is the first audio
application you try to start maybe the soundcard is
allready in use by the desktop soundserver.

I had this problem running ubuntu and tried to start the
jackserver - would have been the same for pd.
When I started the jackd server via the qjackctl interface
i got an error sayinng that the hw:0 (the first soundcard
in my system) is allready in use. A Desktop like Gnome or
Kde can run its own soundserver. So I had a look if Gnome's
soundserver (esd, Kde is artsd) was running - and it was.
So find the process and kill it :)

ps -auxwww | grep esd
kill processnumber

# After that I was able to start the jackd server.
#To make this permanent:
# The startup of the gnome soundserver was stopped when I
# disabled the startup in system-preferences-sound preferences.
# And I could start the jack-server after it.

# btw: if you have also problems with the alsa sequencer. This is
# what I found on the net about it:

# See if the snd-seq kernel module is loaded (as root):
   /sbin/lsmod | grep snd-seq
# If it is not there, load it explicitly:
   /sbin/modprobe snd-seq
# Try starting your application...

cheers simon