[PD] [hid] input problem: /dev/input/js0 instead of /dev/input/event0 [SOLVED!]

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu May 19 13:04:07 CEST 2005

Howdy and thanks for the reply,

the answer, of course, was that I needed to STFA myself and see that
there was already a whole thread on HID joysticks ;-)

In my case, what was missing was the actual evdev module in my kernel.
I'm now happily joysticking away, however I will need to go and create a
Udev rule to allow non-root use of the /dev/input/eventX nodes.

best,
derek

CK wrote:
> hi derek,
>
> I read:
>
>>My Gamepad shows up on /dev/input/js0, and the HID kernel drivers don't
>>create any /dev/input/event nodes. So the [hid] object cannot read the
>>gamepad, even though it is there. I don't know how exactly this happens,
>

> maybe you have to create the eventXX nodes yourself but the problem
> is that /dev/[event/]jsX gives you a cooked joystick output AFAIK this is
> a different protocol from what one expects from /dev/input/eventXX which
> is a generic hid device.
>
> HTH

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 93: