[PD] Bounty [Re: no licensing, no money?]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu May 19 16:38:11 CEST 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 9:24 AM, günter geiger wrote:

> On Thu, 19 May 2005, Tim Blechmann wrote:
>> there is one the advantage of a bounty / marketplace / whatever you
>> call
>> it ... the donor decides, what he supports and what he want to support
>
> I see this as an disadvantage. Money shouldn't make decisions.

I see it as necessary to encourage some people to contribute money.  A
lot of people want to direct their money to what they deem to be
important.  In the U.S., donors to NGOs can specify what they want
their donation to spent on, and that organization is required by law to
use it that way.  But they don't have to specify, they can leave that
up to the organization as well.

Neither option is exclusive.  We can have both donor-specified
development for those who want to give money that way, and a general Pd
fund, which the developers decide how to spend.

Still, that leaves the question open of how we make these decisions.
Personally, I think that developer votes would work best, something
along the lines of Debian.

.hc