[PD] db and pd

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Sun May 22 21:39:23 CEST 2005

I didn't have MIDI in mind at all when making the dbtorms, etc., objects.
dB as a _gain_ is correctly normalized as 0 dB = unity gain.  But dB as
an amplitude measure can have any fixed reference point.  I simply thought
that 0-100 was a convenient range to work in.  It's easy to adapt the
dbtorms object to use a different range if desired, and perhaps it would be
smart to make optional arguments to specify the unity-gain level and the cutoff
level in dB (default, 100 and 0).

It turns out that dB is usially not the best a way to range an amplitude
control anyway.

cheers
Miller