[PD] db and pd

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Sun May 22 22:08:18 CEST 2005

Le 22 Mai 2005 15:22, IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
> dB is a relative measure. +1dBfs == +1dB(midi) == +1dB(16bit) ==
> +1dB(32bit) == ~ *1.12 (rms)
>
> 128 midi-values are *not* mapped to a 0..100 dB range; instead they are
> mapped to a -100..+28 dBfs range.
> this is what i meant by "28dB headroom" for amplifying low signals.
>
> you cannot just map one range to another range.

I understand now. Thanks!  But midi-dB resolution (1dB) is much too small;
interpolation is required to smooth volume transitions from the lowest
possible value to a certain level of amplification.

MIDI is almost obsolete, but I'm not sure we have a fast enough
communication link to directly map the full dynamic range of 24/96 audio
cards. Maybe with OSC and a UDP ethernet link... (but that's another
question).

Le 22 Mai 2005 15:39, Miller Puckette a écrit :
> I didn't have MIDI in mind at all when making the dbtorms, etc., objects.

That was my impression. Thanks for setting that straight.
--
Marc