[PD] db and pd

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun May 22 22:52:23 CEST 2005

hi marc

Marc Lavallée wrote:

> I understand now. Thanks!  But midi-dB resolution (1dB) is much too
small;
> interpolation is required to smooth volume transitions from the lowest
> possible value to a certain level of amplification.

what do you mean by 'too small'? our ears hardly hear the difference of
1dB. from that point of view, 127 steps are enough. on the other hand,
interpolation is needed anyway. it's not only a matter of the stepsize,
but also of the time intervalls between different dB-values.
depending on what interface (for example: guis in pd) you use, this
intervall is too big, so that it's no way to use all steps of the scale.

roman