[PD] db and pd

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 23 10:00:56 CEST 2005

Marc Lavallée wrote:
> Le 22 Mai 2005 15:22, IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
>
>>dB is a relative measure. +1dBfs == +1dB(midi) == +1dB(16bit) ==
>>+1dB(32bit) == ~ *1.12 (rms)
>>
>>128 midi-values are *not* mapped to a 0..100 dB range; instead they are
>>mapped to a -100..+28 dBfs range.
>>this is what i meant by "28dB headroom" for amplifying low signals.
>>
>>you cannot just map one range to another range.
>

> I understand now. Thanks!  But midi-dB resolution (1dB) is much too small;

yes of course. but that has been a midi-problem for ages. (btw. there
are some 9bit MIDI-interfaces out there, so you get 0.25dB resolution
which is quite ok)
and you get tons of resolution in a range where you don't need it at all
(e.g: who cares for 1dB resolution at -90dBfs ??)
i think there is a nice [fadtorms] object in the iemlib, which has some
very non-linear scale: gives you a lot of resolution around 0dBfs and
less resolution at very low or very high values.

> interpolation is required to smooth volume transitions from the lowest
> possible value to a certain level of amplification.

but i think this might heavily depend on what kind of signals you are
trying to amplify.

> MIDI is almost obsolete, but I'm not sure we have a fast enough
> communication link to directly map the full dynamic range of 24/96 audio
> cards. Maybe with OSC and a UDP ethernet link... (but that's another
> question).

MIDI is definitely not the choice (unless you really love it); i use
FUDI most of the time (because i am too lazy to install OSC)

> Le 22 Mai 2005 15:39, Miller Puckette a écrit :
>
>>I didn't have MIDI in mind at all when making the dbtorms, etc., objects.
>

> That was my impression. Thanks for setting that straight.

yes, good to kow.

anyhow, it really turned out to be "conveniently enough" usable with MIDI.

mfg.a.sdr
IOhannes