[PD] Re: [PD-dev] pdogg hacks

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Thu May 26 14:56:36 CEST 2005

rama wrote:

> actually it's very sad to hear that someone who was doing open source,
> and great stuff, starts to release binaries only, be it for a small fee
> or none at all.
>
> i wouldn't like to offend you, but this really means a retro-gression
> (does this word exist??). you know what I mean.
>
> with the evolution of the open source and the knowledge sharing, I can't
> really understand that someone can step back again to the "closed"
> conception.

It's not a step backwards, it's just a way to adopt to the real world.
My local bakery and supermarket don't give me any food for free and I
can't 'pay' there by just giving them a copy of my software. Don't know
whether we should blame the supermarket or just me.

> and you say "small fee considering the amount of time that went into
> it". then what about pd itself?? much more time and people were and are
> involved (and each time more i think) and it's still free (gratis) and
> open.

That's what I meant when writing "I din't want to start a war"... I
would have no problem if I had to pay money for Pd. I payed money for
Max/MSP as well and it is okay because I get a software that does what I
want.
I really understand what you really mean with open source, but you're
more or less the first person (apart from Thomas Grill and Frank
Barknecht, if I remember correctly) who ever contributed some valuable
input to the pdogg code. - Of course, I could have chosen a similar
approach as other have done by just making my code (or even code made by
others [hint, hint]) better without releasing it at all but I thought it
would be better to make it available (I don't use the word 'share'
here!) for 30,- EUR instead of not making it available at all. If you
can't sleep anymore when using closed source stuff because you fear it
might email me your bank account numbers then just stay away from it and
use pdogg instead.

Olaf