[PD] Re: [PD-dev] pdogg hacks

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu May 26 17:21:27 CEST 2005

Hallo,
B. Bogart hat gesagt: // B. Bogart wrote:

> Since versions were freely distributed this does mean that any of us
> would be free to continue to develop it as a fork from your old free
> versions? As long as they do not include code from your new non-free
> versions?
>
> Anyhow just looking for a little clarification.

pdogg as it is in CVS is released as LGPL, so everyone is free to
create and distribute modifications as long as they follow that
license. I don't know if the license in Olaf's "commercial" version
has changed, but as primary author Olaf has every right to change the
license for newer versions. However he would not be allowed to include
rama's changes into a non-free version unless rama would allow this
(which I doubt he would do.)

The actual question for us now is: should we add the new changes into
CVS and create a "fork"? IMO if Olaf wants to keep his newer code
"non-free" then in fact we already somehow have a fork.

(Note: I use the term "non-free" in the Debian sense.)

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "scans" _ http://footils.org/cms/show/41