[PD] Re: [PD-dev] pdogg hacks

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Thu May 26 19:42:22 CEST 2005

rama wrote:

> actually there are no newer versions of pdogg for around one year or
> more. and the oggPRO from Olaf is another story, not a new version of
> pdogg as I understand.

Well, of course the underlying basics are the same but it does several
things in quite a different way and implements a lot of new features.
I don't know how to decide whether its an updated pdogg or a new thing.

> so, correct me if I'm wrong, but any changes introduced into pdogg at
> this point, wouldn't mean a fork, but just continue it's development.
> pdogg was orphaned long time ago, isn't it? and as far as I can
> remember, Olaf said anyone willing to take over its development, could
> do so.

For me it's all right if you keep on developing pdogg. It's a free thing
(LGPL) and will ever be a free thing. Feel free to fix the bugs or even
implement the new features that are in the oggPRO versions.

>>IMO if Olaf wants to keep his newer code
>>"non-free" then in fact we already somehow have a fork.
>

> hmmm yep, somehow.. but what about thinking the other way round:
> oggPRO is a fork into non-free!,

In fact oggPRO is the fork. - Maybe I should tell the whole story how
this fork came into existance:
Originally I just made the Max/MSP ports (under a new license) of the
pdogg objects and then more or less stopped using (and developing) the
Pd versions.
Over the years more and more bugs were fixed, new features implemented
and several things changed quite dramatically. After a while a user was
asking for Pd versions of oggcast~ and oggamp~ with some of the new
features (that were not in the pdogg versions) so I made a backport of
the new code to Pd.

Olaf