[PD] Re: [PD-dev] pdogg hacks

rama medialist at xicnet.com
Fri May 27 01:18:52 CEST 2005

El jue, 26-05-2005 a las 19:42 +0200, Olaf Matthes escribió:
> rama wrote:

> > so, correct me if I'm wrong, but any changes introduced into pdogg at
> > this point, wouldn't mean a fork, but just continue it's development.
> > pdogg was orphaned long time ago, isn't it? and as far as I can
> > remember, Olaf said anyone willing to take over its development, could
> > do so.
>
> For me it's all right if you keep on developing pdogg. It's a free thing
> (LGPL) and will ever be a free thing. Feel free to fix the bugs or even
> implement the new features that are in the oggPRO versions.

alright.
but, hoping not to be inappropiate, shall shortly ask if you plan to
release the code after some 'point'? maybe your clients will not be very
happy, but I'm only wondering ways..

> >>IMO if Olaf wants to keep his newer code
> >>"non-free" then in fact we already somehow have a fork.
> >

> > hmmm yep, somehow.. but what about thinking the other way round:
> > oggPRO is a fork into non-free!,
>
> In fact oggPRO is the fork. - Maybe I should tell the whole story how
> this fork came into existance:
> Originally I just made the Max/MSP ports (under a new license) of the
> pdogg objects and then more or less stopped using (and developing) the
> Pd versions.

:(

> Over the years more and more bugs were fixed, new features implemented
> and several things changed quite dramatically. After a while a user was
> asking for Pd versions of oggcast~ and oggamp~ with some of the new
> features (that were not in the pdogg versions) so I made a backport of
> the new code to Pd.

i would love you forever if you return to pd some day, i appreciate you
work, and I'm using pdogg a lot (a lot!)

i personally don't like commercial / closed-source software,
and it's not about being afraid of my bank account number being filed
into anyone's database. they would get a sad surprise ;)

ramiro.