[PD] Re: [PD-dev] pdogg hacks

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Fri May 27 20:55:23 CEST 2005

Le 27 Mai 2005 05:30, Olaf Matthes a écrit :
> In the end this strict view on the open vs. closed debate is also bad
> for Pd because it prevents some things from being coded (or released) at
> all.

Just a reminder: PD is released with a BSD style licence, so people can fork
it and close the source, for any reason and any use. Externals can be coded
for custom jobs and never get released, or released as proprietary, There's
quite a few options, depending on business models. As many on this list, I
would love to use and develop PD much more than I do, but we all need to
survive using the best strategies available. I hope that the PD community
will become more "business oriented" while respecting its "freedom of
speech". If this is what the community wants, then it will find ways to
finance and help developpers to code and release their creations using free
licenses.  But first we should let developpers do whatever they (legally)
can to survive honorably. I prefer to code web sites than release non-free
PD externals, but that's my business.
--
Marc