[PD] [OT] PC hardware recommondations for Linux

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue May 31 16:00:57 CEST 2005

On May 27, 2005, at 6:17 AM, vanDongen/Gilcher wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 21:52, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> If you really want the best disk speed you can manage, buy SCSI.  You
>> can get 15k rpm drives, versus SATA's 10k, or ATA's 7.2k.
>>
>> .hc
>
> To do what? Stream multiple uncompressed video tracks?
> For any audio work ATA is fast enough for serious (48+ tracks)
> multitracking.
> If you can't, the bottleneck is usually in the program design not the
> drive.

Well, on a basic level, its nice having your machine boot and launch
apps super quick.  Also, SCSI performs better under heavy CPU load
since it needs less supervision from the CPU than ATA.

I don't know how loud the 15k drives are, I don't have the $$$ to buy
one.  But I imagine they have figured it out by now.  But the ATA
drives will be quieter since they are more mature and more consumer
focused.

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
								-David Zicarelli