[PD] help needed figuring out why pd on ubuntu hangs

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Sat Jun 4 17:16:12 CEST 2005

No, I don't have a firewall on and the port is clearly created (I can trace
its creation/deletion through one of the network-admin tools included with
Gnome). However, I think I finally figured it out, it seems that Ubuntu
loads /etc/hosts with various ipv6 things before stating localhost stuff and
with which I am not too familiar with. I don't know if this has anything to
do with it but for some reason the port 5400 is created on the IP 0.0.0.0 as
opposed to 127.0.0.1 (although this may be simply the way how it is being
reported in the network-admin tool I used). Once I deleted those entries in
the /etc/hosts, leaving only the localhost one, the app started without a
hitch. Go figure...

If anyone understands what has caused this, perhaps this may suggest that
there is a bug in Pd regarding how it extracts localhost address (although
it is obvious that I don't know what I am talking about here :-).

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer & multimedia sculptor
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/