[PD] display waveform in GEM

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sun Jun 5 23:50:53 CEST 2005

Following an idea from Gerhard Daurer, I'd like to look into displaying
the waveform of an audiofile in a Gemwin. Gerhard sent me a prototype of
a very cool patch combining my Particle Chamber with PMPD and GEM, which
uses physical modelling to visually control the granulation of a
soundfile. (And I hope he posts this same prototype here soon!)

In his version, he has only a set number of audiofiles to choose from,
so he simply loads a JPG of the waveform into the Gemwin. However, I'd
like to be able to load any wav file into this and get some visual
feedback (i.e. be able to see the peaks). This would be a one-time
operation, and not something that would be changing in realtime (except
maybe a zoom in and out), however I would like that displaying the peaks
doesn't interrupt audio processing (as drawing a table would).

I'd like to use GEM for this so that the various grains could be
graphically represented on top of the waveform. I'm open for PDP
implementations, but I don't really consider PDP cross-platform so I'd
rather stick with GEM.

Any Gemheads out there have an idea of how to go about this?

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl