[PD] display waveform in GEM

geadsch at controverse.net geadsch at controverse.net
Mon Jun 6 14:26:48 CEST 2005

Zitat von Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org>:

> Hallo,
> derek holzer hat gesagt: // derek holzer wrote:
>
> > Following an idea from Gerhard Daurer, I'd like to look into displaying
> > the waveform of an audiofile in a Gemwin. Gerhard sent me a prototype of
> > a very cool patch combining my Particle Chamber with PMPD and GEM, which
> > uses physical modelling to visually control the granulation of a
> > soundfile. (And I hope he posts this same prototype here soon!)
>
> I'm curious, too.

Hi all!

Yeah, I'll post it soon. Unfortunately I have to tidy it up a bit.
AND my Laptop crashed yesterday.. aarghh

But I'll definitely bring it along on the Vienna meeting too..

> > In his version, he has only a set number of audiofiles to choose from,
> > so he simply loads a JPG of the waveform into the Gemwin. However, I'd
> > like to be able to load any wav file into this and get some visual
> > feedback (i.e. be able to see the peaks). This would be a one-time
> > operation, and not something that would be changing in realtime (except
> > maybe a zoom in and out), however I would like that displaying the peaks
> > doesn't interrupt audio processing (as drawing a table would).
> >
> > I'd like to use GEM for this so that the various grains could be
> > graphically represented on top of the waveform. I'm open for PDP
> > implementations, but I don't really consider PDP cross-platform so I'd
> > rather stick with GEM.
> >
> > Any Gemheads out there have an idea of how to go about this?

Actually I asked a similar question as this a few month ago.
I also played around a bit with the [curve 2] object and posted my first result
on the list too..
But as I couldn't come up (and no-one else) with a effective solution I decided
just to use .jpg images of the waveforms (as IOhannes suggested)

Still I would also be very interested in a solution..
I imagine that a [curve] object with an input for a list of points would be very
useful..

> well, I don't qualify as a Gemhead, but I made a simple patch which
> does this using the method, I use in my msd-editor to render lots of
> things inside one render command. I have first seen this in Cyrille
> Henry's patches.

As my Laptop doesn't work at the moment I can't look at it right now. I'm really
curious..

Best wishes
geadsch (gerhard daurer)