[PD] self-similarity

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Mon Jun 6 19:34:40 CEST 2005

The effect is actually in texture-land not vector land.

So I copy the buffer pix_snap2tex, and then rotate the copy slightly,
which gets copied in the next frame and so on. Like video feedback.

The idea came from Erich Berger to whom I am very grateful.

The good thing is that you can many iterations even if your graphics
card is not great at repeating Geos. Actually self-similar is a little
fancy because I'm using three copies of the feedback, and using pix_snap
(not snap2tex) because the areas of the texture that only contain the
background colour of the window are transparent. So one feedback surface
can feedback onto a second.

Last time I heard there was some work on the idea of sharing
display-lists in Gem so that multiple instances of the same object could
be a little faster. Any status report on this?

b>